Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Herringbone Weave 6mm binder cane seat

 Seat needs to be replaced do to hole in back right hand corner. I would have liked to replaced the back and left the cane natural but the back was in good shape and just needed touch up paint.
 Better picture of the hole.
 I should have use 3 paint sticks per stack but in Finger Lakes Fan Weave I've only used 1 per stack and I was fine. But this Herringbone tightens more. I also used the 5X5 herringbone on the bottom I think I may use the 5X5 square pattern next time As the herringbone on the bottom seams to tighten things up more then the the square pattern does.
 I would have like to put more cane in the gussets but the side rails prevented me from getting under the wrap cane.
 Here the chair is all painted I would like to have not done so but it would have looked strange. I told the customer that the paint will most likely chip or flake off in time.
All of my splices are on the bottom. I stapled them all the wrap splices and over lapped all the weave splices.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your pain. I hate to paint over cane.
    You and I do our rockers a lot differently. I use the Finger Lakes Fan pattern on the seat and either herringbone or porch weave on the back.

    Scott Tankard
    seatsbyscott.blogspot.com
    Forsyth, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, at class we use a choice of plastic rods, like used for plumbing, or wire, for our herringbone seats. There are different sizes, and it doesn't show a "crimp" where a slat may do so. We use a rubber band to hold them in place and then can cut if off.

    ReplyDelete