Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Danish cord rails NO nails

 I did this pair of  Slat backs for my Aunt she wanted something different this is what I did. My Father-in-law has a set similar but the chairs are brown and the cord has a coat of Danish oil on it.
 My Father-in-laws chairs came from the factory like this. So I did this way for my Aunt.
Danish Cord without nails. As you can see there are no knots I unrolled the cord and using an old rope slicing technique my dad taught me http://www.machovec.com/rope/splicing/3strand_end2end_short.htm this site  explains it. I used my awl to open space to get the cut ends into the unrolled part of the rope. If you look closely you can find the splices as they are thicker then the rest of the cord. I do this with my Sea Grass seats also that way I can do the top and bottoms with NO KNOTS :-)

3 comments:

  1. I also run courses - green wood chair-making in the UK and use a lot of Danish cord. I don't like using nails so have been playing with different seat patterns. I'd be interested to exchange ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the late reply. I have been busy getting done with furniture. I don't check this Blog very often when I'm in my busy season. You can contact me easier at cboerman@rochester.rr.com I also have a facebook page The Chairman and /or friend me at James Boerman on Facebook my picture is a woodchuck in an army helmet shouldering a bazooka. Mike I'd happy to talk about furniture with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have a great time making furniture. I loved the photos. I had to laugh at the eggs in toast I make them here too. We call them birds nests, I'll even pour scrambled eggs in the center too. The splint chairs were beautiful, I think that shop under plastic was great. What kind of benches were those in the picture?

    ReplyDelete